External SQL

kurbanis

External SQL

Post by kurbanis » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:46 am

Firstly, great app. Makes my little space life sooo much easier.

Onto the meat of this post. Would it be difficult to allow the option to use an external datatbase for all my setting / data? I run a personal server that already runs SQL. As I work from both my PC and laptop, being able to keep both of them synced through a shared online databse would be hugely beneficial.

Or, is this already possible and I'm just being a complete moron?!?!

Slivo

Re: External SQL

Post by Slivo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:55 am

Hi !

I don't think this is actually possible.
It could indeed be a cool feature, but there is many technical difficulty about it ..

What if your server is down, what if there is a network error ?
Even a cloud shared database could lead to issue if there is not internet connection.

I would prefer a cloud based sync over a local shared SQL db.

I'm keeping you suggestion in mind, I'm personally using EveHQ at multiple places and shared settings and DB definitely sounds good

Galadon

Post by Galadon » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:54 am

To accomplish your goal of a single database you might consider running EveHQ in Portable Mode. While that will not make use of your existing SQL server, it will insure you are using a single database, with all settings and data intact, whether on your desktop or laptop.

You can use any USB stick, even while it is being used for portable file storage. If you are unfamiliar with Portable Mode, check this thread for more info and instructions: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=97

Galadon

kurbanis

Post by kurbanis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks Galadon,

I've actually never noticed that before but I'll give it a whirl :)

Kurbanis