Dev environment

Derek Toter

Re: Dev environment

Post by Derek Toter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 am

I was thinking the same thing, it needs to be rewritten, and I am much more familiar with c# than VB. WPF would be new to me as well, but it looks like it would be worth learning. Would be good if we can get at least one person on board that's familiar with it already, at least just to get us started quicker. That will definitely be a massive project, and will require a few people and good coordination.

Can I get in touch with you guys on TS or something?

Slivo

Post by Slivo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:20 am

Sure, my spoken english is a bit crap but I'll do my best.
I'm on EU TZ, what is your ?

Derek Toter

Post by Derek Toter » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:39 am

I'm US TZ, UTC - 6. =\ Going to sleep in a minute, it's 3:30 in the morning here. Weekends could work out if nothing else. We can always use the chat box if we need to.

Is there anyone else currently involved with the project that plans on being around for a while?

Slivo

Post by Slivo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:53 am

Skar AB is working with me on the project, Smurf is giving us some help since weeks now

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:17 am

I much prefer C#, but I work with both quite a whole lot at work. Full rewrite sure is a huge overhaul, but i'm sure we can do it.

Slivo

Post by Slivo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 pm

The main question if we do rewrite evehq, is about multiple platform (linux mostly). This could lead to java or C++, but would add a lot of work.
C# WPF is a good choice if we do not choose to go multiOS.

This talk may be the subject of a dedicated topic :)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:09 pm

My initial feeling is that Eve plays best on windows and doesn't really play well on anything else (it does play, but come on). As for a fitting tool, Pyfa is really the only comparison that is multi platform (and I'm not going with python!). It's good at what it does, but it's no EveHQ.

However, .NET is open sourcing a lot. .NET core is already open source. If nothing else, Mono. I use a macbook so I can test OSX. If someone else would get a desktop linux box, that'd be great.

Slivo

Post by Slivo » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:26 pm

I'm up for linux desktop. I agree with you, i'd just like to see more linux everywhere, starting by an eve online client :p

Derek Toter

Post by Derek Toter » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:40 am

I ran two Eve clients for several months through Wine on Linux Mint, it worked great. I still ran EveHQ through windows though.

MS has open-sourced the .NET server stack, but WPF is tightly coupled to the Win32 API and DirectX, so that won't be moving to Linux anytime soon, if ever. Staying with .NET and Visual studio would speed up development because of how nice the IDE and framework are, and WPF seems to offer everything we need to keep the interface the same from the end-users' perspectives. The only real alternative I see for doing it cross-platform would be C++ with the Qt Framework. I know C++, but Qt would be completely new to me, and it would almost certainly be slower to do that way.

Slivo

Post by Slivo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:54 am

I agree with your point of view :)